To torture or not
In august the american psychological association prepared to issue a resolution condemning the use of torture as an interrogation tactic by the american government my first reaction was to question why it had taken until 2007 to decide that torture is wrong, and why arguments as to. Should they torture the prisoner the answer to the question from the utilitarian standpoint could very well have a mixed answer but from my understanding. Not to mention abu zubayda who under torture claimed saddam had an operational relationship with al-qaeda which put the icing on the cake for war with iraq it amazes me that torture could be sold as a means of obtaining the truth. Though lawmakers, human rights activists and others eventually condemned the interrogation methods as torture please verify you're not a robot by clicking the box invalid email address please re-enter you must select a newsletter to subscribe to. Commentary to torture or not to torture by john w whitehead february 13, 2006 during a recent debate in chicago, former us justice department official john yoo, who wrote the crucial memos justifying president bush's.
Topic: to torture or not to torture note: in order to fulfill this assignment, you need to have read the group discussion board forum 2 instructions and the following chapters from holmes: chs 4-7, 14 if you have not done so, please stop and read that material for your thread, post an. View essay - phil 201 - to torture or not to torture prisoners from phil 104 at liberty to torture or not to torture prisoners torture is taken to be a process of inflicting pain to someone in. Torture definition is the infliction of intense pain (as from burning, crushing, or wounding) to punish, coerce, or afford sadistic how to use torture in a sentence. Tag: utilitarianism view torture state-corporate crime: 2004: 124) torture is not limited to states and tyrants alone, and as kramer and kauzlarich noted corporations and liberal democracies and their agencies can act together to produce serious criminality including torture. To torture or not to torture, why is this question being asked in america the answer you will receive is different depending on who you speak to.
In regards to the question about whether or not it is ethically appropriate for a nation to use torture to extract information in order to save lives from an imminent threat (and all other means of obtaining the information have been exhausted) the many different theories of ethics will have. Torture is pointless, useless and degrading for all involved - there are better ways to gather information from other human beings discussions and policy regarding prisoner and detainee interrogation need to be refocused as a behavioral and brain sciences problem, and not simply treated as a. Psychologists are facing consequences for helping with torture it's not enough none of us should be aiding in the infliction of harm but many still will none of us should be aiding in the infliction of harm but many still will. I know that it's possible to construct a situation where torture might seem (or be) the best choice - just like you did but that is not what i wanted to know. To torture or not to torture to torture or not to torture note: in order to fulfill this assignment, you need to have read chapters 5-7, 14 from the holmes text.
To torture or not
Topic: to torture or not to torture note: in order to fulfill this assignment, you need to have read the group discussion board forum 2 instructions and the following chapters from holmes: chs 4-7, 14. A signatory to the un convention against torture, the united states does not torture  yet abundant evidence indicates that it does, directly or by proxy and in fact always has an old american tradition of state-sponsored torture even has its own lexicon: soa, kubark, phoenix, mk-ultra.
- Open document below is an essay on to torture, or not to torture from anti essays, your source for research papers, essays, and term paper examples.
- In this case study torture of the car thief can be provided with a substantial moral justification, even if it does not convince everyone consider the following points: (1) the police reasonably believe that torturing the car thief will probably save an innocent life (2) the police know that.
- I have answered this question twice on answers, to just watch it disappear the arguement is usually, torture is inefffective as a means of gathering information i said, well, what if it is the only means you have to extract information from a terrorist beats nothing would you.
- Nothing will fundamentally change in this country with torture, with war crimes, unless we hold those who did the torture accountable gina haspel does not belong as head of the cia she belongs in front of a judge, answering to what she was doing.
- Torture can be defined as, 'the officially sanctioned infliction of intense suffering, aimed at forcing someone to do or say something against his or her will' (rodley, 2000: 7) under international law it is illegal to use torture in any situation whatsoever although torture undoubtedly.
Watch video and learn about the human right article #5 no one shall be subjected to torture or to cruel, inhuman or degrading treatment or punishment watch the public service announcements by youth for human rights. To torture or not to torture phil 201 torture is justifiable the limited use of torture should be permitted in the us in order to protect the wellbeing of the public. Do you believe john mccain's opinion concerning the united states' policy on torture to be a more valid one than perhaps either barrack or hillary because he spent five and a half years of his life in a pow camp in matters concerning that of national security what are your. Don't expect a return to torture in the donald trump administration, despite the president's oft-expressed enthusiasm for it and the infamous r sum of gina haspel, his nominee to run the cia, former top officials at the agency say for starters, there's a law against it, points out robert.